Just wanna say that I am particularly proud of this update. Ages ago when I first reluctantly made the Gravity Gun mod, it was done because I had already somewhat done “entity grabbing” in Portal Gun, and I had not played Half-Life 2 yet at the time. Now though, things are different. I’ve actually played Half-Life 2 now, and I properly understand how the “Zero-Point Energy Manipulator” works.
First off, I’d like to point out that the gravity gun (GG) fancy model and sounds has received some improvements. Here’s a short list on what’s different:
– The normal GG’s claws will open and close, if whatever block or entity you are looking at can be picked up.
– The core of the GG pulsates with different intensities over time, allowing it to glow in the dark.
– Holding an entity shows the 3 electrical arcs from the claws radiating towards the center of the GG.
– Pushing/throwing an entity also causes the GG to strike out an electrical charge on the entity to indicate the force from the GG.
– The player’s left hand renders on the left grip of the GG.
– The supercharged GG also vibrates when you’re holding it. It’s claws are permanently opened and occasionally emits electrical pulses.
– Many sounds from the supercharged GG are played in a lower pitch, not unlike the actual game’s counterpart.
– Many many more sounds are played by the GG when being used, such as it humming when holding an entity, claws opening/closing, failing to push/grab an entity.
Functionality wise, the mod has also received some changes. Those I can remember now (default configs) are as listed:
– Most of the GG’s capabilities can be configured, with small exception to one or two features.
– The supercharged GG recipe can be disabled now, and syncs across servers.
– The normal GG is no longer capable of picking up tile entities. No more moving chests around with it!
– The normal GG’s grab reach has been extended to 5 blocks.
– The normal GG’s throw strength has been reduced slightly.
– The supercharged GG is basically a stronger version of the normal GG, using the normal GG’s values and amplifying it by it’s own factor. By default the GG also has a massively amplified grab factor, allowing it to grab entities up to 15 blocks away.
– Grabbing entities now use a simulated “weight” system. The normal GG can, by default, grab entities with a volume of less than 1.53 (1.5^3). The supercharged GG, 33 (3^3). This means the normal GG cannot grab anything that’s slightly bigger than a spider (A spider calculates to about 1.43 [1.4^3]). I’m doing this because the normal GG is relatively cheap and I would like to make the supercharged GG appear more valuable and useful compared to the normal version.
– You can also adjust the distance your held entity is by holding the sneak key and scrolling the mouse wheel.
– Exclusive to the supercharged GG, it can grab several blocks at once. This is done by charging the GG with holding the LMB then holding the RMB, releasing the LMB when ready. The selection radius can be a little wonky at times, and the grab will fail if any block in that radius can not be picked up normally.
Anyways yeah, that’s about most of the changes I’ve implemented in GG this time round, so I hope you guys have fun with it, and give loads of feedback, I wanna hear it! I still have more plans for this mod in the future so you can look forward to a couple more things next update.
As usual, you can get the mod here.